Monday 26 April 2010

Dr Atsuko Naono

I am writing to support the continuation of the Centre. After finishing my Ph.D., the Centre welcomed me as a guest researcher for a year during 2006-7. I benefitted from interesting seminars and conferences, and learned a great deal from the Centre's academic staff. I am still benefitting from some of the Centre's dissemination activities such as the WHO Global Health Histories Seminars, many of which I listen to online.

I am also very grateful for the Centre's support in publishing my first monograph in 2009. It was a great shock for me to hear that the Centre is closing. I heard many times that funding is shrinking everywhere. However, closing the Centre will cause regrettable effects to the development of the field of the history of medicine.

I agree with many who urge the UCL and the Wellcome Trust to continue supporting the Centre.
Atsuko Naono
Associate Fellow
Centre for the History of Medicine
University of Warwick

No comments:

Post a Comment