Wednesday 5 May 2010

Dr Cristina Álvarez Millán

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of dismay at the unjustified closure of a unique institution for the study of history of medicine. Furthermore, I would add that the Wellcome Trust Centre is a beacon that shines throughout the world. It is not an exaggeration to say that the three years I spent at the Wellcome Institute (later the Wellcome Trust Centre) opened my mind to new possibilities and gave me an academic grounding that I could not have received elsewhere. It would be a tragedy if other young scholars were not able to benefit as I did. I very much hope that the Wellcome Trust and UCL will reconsider a decision which, as a colleague put it, “will drive so many scholars to the abyss”. Please add my name to those who officially protest against this act of folly.

Cristina Álvarez Millán
Dept. Historia Medieval, CC. y TT. Historiográficas
Facultad de Geografia e Historia, UNED
Madrid

No comments:

Post a Comment